Friday, October 27, 2023

CP's Portal Subdivision, 1985 - Part 2

It was time to work my back to Regina after overnighting in Weyburn. In Part 1 of my visit to CP's Portal Subdivision, my drive stopped at Lang, just short of Milestone, SK. A scenic view of Milestone was include in a TV commercial for beer at the time, at least according to my photo album caption (top photo). An impressive elevator row awaited me on this overcast morning, dominated by Saskatchewan Wheat Pool.
Milestone is at Mile 46.9 of the Portal Sub, with the smaller Pool C plant (above) and the newly-refurbished northernmost elevator dominating the town skyline and the only Milestone elevator extant:
A parting shot looking back down elevator row:
I thought this scene approaching Corinne was a nice tabletop tableau. Only when I got closer could I tell both elevators were abandoned. Corinne,  Mi 40.5:
In a previous post I profiled the prolific posted pointers that in no way portended the future of this humble ex-Federal elevator. Its future was dark and I can now say that those signs form part of my archives decor. A far, far better rest than they would have known under tons of nailed-together lumber upon demolition, following their closing in 1983.
Apparently Corinne is now home to a large multi-bun grain-handling facility (over-endowed in grandeur, lacking in character) built by ConAgra twelve years after my visit, now operated by Richardson Pioneer.
There were four elevators at Wilcox, Mi 35.3. Paterson and Pioneer painted (above) and Pool and Pioneer (below) complete with CP Rail track machines, but still no grain cars for loading:
The three remaining elevators in Wilcox were some of the 700-plus demolished by contractor David Mihalicz of Assiniboia: the 126x38 foot Pioneer on October 20, 2005 and the rest by October 28.
Diana (aband. on Highway 39) Mi 30.6 had a 78-car siding in steam days. The door is definitely ajar!

Rouleau at Mi 24.8 had a water tower for steam locomotives to fill their tenders from.
A field view of Rouleau (above) and a Tripix/Henry Kalen/Alex Wilson of Dryden, ON postcard view of Rouleau's elevator row, though the small Federal had been consolidated:
This northernmost Sask Pool elevator was better-known as a scenic backdrop for the CTV series 'Corner Gas' filmed here.
And with a stop at Rowatt, some fast food, a tank of gas,a visit to RCMP Depot Division a car wash and a return of my fantastic Fifth Avenue, it was time to board VIA No 2 eastward from Regina. This post completes documentation of my 1985 grain elevator photography on CN's Glenavon and Lewvan Subs, and CP's Portal and Tyvan Subs.
Now it's time to get cracking on my 1986 trip - I've only documented my visits to the CN Craik and CP Colonsay Subs. That leaves portions of CN's Conquest, Elrose, Rosetown and Watrous Subs and CP's Kerrobert, Outlook and even McMorran Subs to be documented here. Time to elevate my game!

Running extra...

Thanks to Bill Linley for passing along word of Bruce Chapman's passing at age 77. Bruce was a valued book contributor to me, and really helped me find my way through the morass of the disposition of ex-CP RDC's and passenger locomotives. Bruce was also a prolific sharer of information to many and I termed his regular email bursts 'Chapmania' (I saved 200 of his emails for reference, the last one received August 7). Bruce gained his encyclopedic knowledge having served in many roles for Canadian Pacific. My favourite thing about Bruce was the humorous terms he coined i.e. Schreiberia for Schreiber; Crash National for Canadian National; Annieguts for Angus Shops and especially meaningful based on today's weather, Manisnoba.
The VIA Historical Association is in the process of acquiring three ex-Ontario Northland cars, already bearing Rapido Trains Inc. RPDX reporting marks. These three CN cars went to VIA thence ONR after two rounds of VIA cutbacks. Baggage car 414 was formerly VIA 9604 and went to ONR in late-1983. Coaches 851 and 852 were formerly Dayniters 5714 and 5700, acquired in mid-1990 and late-1992, respectively. Mike Robin photo posted to Canadian Trains Facebook group:

4 comments:

Brian said...

From your picture of elevator row, it looks like Milestone was a Pool town.

Looking at the picture of the north-most Pool elevator, I wonder if it was built with the lower peaked roof on the near side so that there was the potential to add an additional annex to that side of the elevator too. If that would have happened, it would have made for quite an impressive structure. I suppose that it would have resembled the Pioneer elevator at Wilcox.

Another excellent set of pictures from a different era in grain handling, Eric.

Eric said...

It's certainly possible, Brian. There were lots of changes and consolidations to the elevators as the companies were striving to keep their operations profitable.

I was lucky to catch this snapshot of time in that process!
Thanks for your comment,
Eric

Jason Sailer said...

More great wheat king shots! Thanks!

Eric said...

Hi Jason,

Just one of the specialties here at Trackside Treasure. Readers just have to be patient to see the photos - like nearly 40 years patient, that is!

Thanks for your comment,
Eric