Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to Trackside Treasure.

As always, we are left to ask "Why?" Why did Eric start a blog? What do I have to contribute to the internet? Perhaps just to fill a small corner of cyberspace with what I haven't found anywhere else. There are some excellent webpages out there, but much of the content is so immediate that I would like to add a bit of depth.

Right now, I plan to post some RRR's, that is Retro Railfan Reports. Each month, a different railfan report, but rarely from the present. The "Retro" part means it will be from the current month, but from some past year. "Railfan" means that these will be from different places. "Report" means there will be lots of consists, information and even photos that I hope you will find useful.

Treasure? Well I hope so, I know they are to me, and I hope they might be to you. I've heard lots of people say, "I watched and photographed lots of trains, but I wish I'd written some of this stuff down." I did, but what's the use of keeping it to myself, if it might interest someone else?

My top five rejected blog names:

1. Slack Action (kind of describes railfanning as well as train dynamics)
2. CCC: Canadian Consist Cornucopia
3. Oops, I started a blog
4. CRTC: Canadian Railfan Train Consists
5. Is this anything?

4 comments:

Drew Makepeace said...

"Retro Railfan Reports" appears in your sidebar, and it is a catchy name. Did you try using that as a blog name?

Eric said...

Hi Andrew, thanks for your question. I have some other treasures I've found trackside that I hope to post in future that aren't railfan-related, so I'm leaving the door open for that.
Eric

Canadian Train Geek said...

I like Slack Action. It would be great for a railfan blog.

Eric said...

Thanks for your comment, Steve. I haven't used it in three years, so let's see if someone else will use it. In addition, how about Flange Squeal?
Eric