Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Stories on the Waterfront - My New Book!

Now Available, hot off the summer press!
Stories on the Waterfront is a companion volume to Smoke on the Waterfront, my first book on Kingston history, published last November. As the title says, it's a curated collection of memories and photos of Kingston Harbour. At 70 pages, this second book has 50 more photos and it's professionally-printed by Kingston's own Allan Graphics! It's full of interesting stories from a variety of eras that complement the dates, facts and archival photos in Smoke. It was fun making the before-and-after 'Dear Photograph' themed cover (top photo). I've included images of  three sample pages, below.

*** Ready to order now? Full ordering information here: Books by Eric Gagnon ***

Within a month of publishing Smoke, I knew there'd be another book. There were just too many engaging stories circulating online that were captured and preserved...nowhere - social media is a wasteland of archival usefulness. I also wanted to share more of the photos that the Queen's University Archives has in its collection. I'm grateful to Queen's for allowing this sharing, and I donate $1 from each copy sold to the Archives to assist in their valuable preservation efforts.

What's inside? Click this link > > >Watch a flip-through video here. < < <

This book is like a walking tour along the waterfront - starting at West Street, the memories tumble out along Ontario Street (above), through downtown and out along Wellington and Montreal Streets to the CN Outer Station. Along each street, text and photos give historical glimpses into the past. The two sample pages are from the Harbour section which includes the railways and ships that operated there:
Stories on the Waterfront puts meat on the bones of my first book. They belong together. The first gives dates; the second tells what life was like in that era. The first showed photos of buildings; the second shows work going on there. These places no longer exist, and sadly, many of the people from earlier times are no longer here to share their stories. From a variety of print, online and archival sources, I've pieced together some memories that need to be shared!
The book price of $35 includes free Canada Post shipping anywhere in Canada. For full ordering information for all eight of my books, please check out my new Books by Eric Gagnon blog
My second book created during this protracted pandemic, I was fortunate to have access to all my research material at home! Graphic Designer Debbie Traves and I could easily communicate by e-mail and send revisions back and forth. I always enjoy dealing with Dave and Gloria Allan at Allan Graphics - local fine printers!

I make it a point never to lie, especially to a man of the cloth. I assured Associated Railroaders of Kingston Program Director The Reverend Canon Andrew Chisholm I wasn't going to do a seventh book. And now there's an eighth! I guess the road to Hell is paved with good intentions  - and good books!

Thanks very much for your interest in my books! 
-- Eric
* * * * * * *
Praise for Stories on the Waterfront:

Purchased both books, which are now a valuable part of my Kingston library. Well done, Eric Gagnon! - MS

I purchased both books, and they are very well produced and a wonderful tribute to the history of Kingston along the waterfront and adjacent areas. Well done Eric! - PW

I received your book today. I was enthralled. Very interesting and well written. I really liked your other books.  But this one is a level of its own. - MT

Congratulations on the release of your second Kingston waterfront book. Thanks very much for again extending our ability to see a fascinating piece of Kingston's history. it truly is a treasure that all should explore - EP

I received "Stories on the Waterfront" Thursday, another excellent publication that will bring back many childhood memories for me. Thanks for doing such a great job packing it as it was not folded in transit! - JM

Thanks for the magnificent books! Cheers. - BG

No comments: