Friday, April 2, 2021

Modelling Chalk Marks on Freight Cars

Chalk marks, usually at the end of car sides, was used as a communications device for car routing. Chalk marks indicated marshalling instructions, the car's general destination, setting out, lifting, outbound train number and other miscellaneous messages. This was in the era before paper "journals" or computer-generated train manifests. 

                             CHALK MARKS IN THE STEAM ERA                               

Chalk was bought in quantities by the railway. Canadia Pacific purchased boxes 1x4-inch sticks named Chalkall from Binney & Smith by the gross. Division points were common places for chalk marks to be applied, indicating switching or marshalling instructions for the next division yard, or a particular town on the route - "shorts". Even more specific marks were for individiual tracks on which the car was to be set-out, or the car's commodity.

These marks were not meant to be permanent. They could be 'rubbed out' as if on a blackboard, when no longer relevant or needed. Early graffiti, including hobo marks, was also made with chalk.

CHALK MARKS IN THE DIESEL ERA

There may have been some old heads that still used chalk marks when they were no longer necessary, made obsolete by technology. The advent of ACI labels and the introduction of computers in car routing made these redundant.

CHALK MARKS OR GRAFFITI?

Chalk marks are not graffiti. For graffiti, I've done the odd 'Bozo Texino' or 'Pepe', someone's name or a city name. Once rattle cans of spray paint came along, the game changed. Many modern freight cars are nearly covered with graffiti. Modelling 1970, nominally, I don't have to contend with this scourge, ethically, legally or in my modelling. Here's a sample online discussion showing how quickly such discussions devolve, between two guys named Bob and John, "There are no great tags, there's only vandalism/ In your fu opinion/Not an opinion, a fact/Foamer fact, railroader wannabe/You know, it is entirely possible to disagree without being a dick about it. Just sayin'.../For the most part I agree. I hate tagging, especially on an old or fallen flag car. But there ARE some true artists. Technically it’s vandalism but his work is a thing of beauty and shows incredible talent."

MODELLING CHALK MARKS

I use a white gel pen to make my HO scale chalk marks. The resulting lettering is really vivid and bright. It catches my eye when I bring a car onto the layout. In future, I may weather some of the chalk marks with some dilute craft paint overbrushed to dull them. I also add weathering and ACI labels, and I still have remnants of Consolidated stencils, re-weigh re-stencils and occasional U-1 wheel dots.

Due to frequent car handling on and off the layout, I will probably never be the cut lever and roofwalk replacement kind of modeller. I've found that adding this type of detail enhances the realism of my rolling stock fleet and it's something that I can't dislodge by accident!




Lots o' links:

Running extra...

Speaking of leaving his mark, this reminiscence by the inimitable Bob Fallowfield was so nicely written that I frankly stole it from his social media, because I would like to see it shared even more widely:

Those Sunday drives. 

My dad was king of the Sunday drive, especially come fall. The routine was predictable. Mom would take me to Sunday School while dad chose to worship in his shed. There’s peace to be found down each of those paths. After a quick lunch, we’d pile into our ‘78 Chev Blazer and head out for the open road. I rarely asked outright to drive by the tracks, yet there is a certain understanding between a father and a son that seldom requires words. More often than not, dad would take us on a circuitous rural route that would somehow manage to bisect every rail line in Oxford County. 

I’m not sure I ever expressed it, but looking back now, I sure appreciated his understanding of my love of trains. As we took in the sights of farms and fields, and bounced over gravel and planked crossings, the hope was always present to see a headlight. Some afternoons were quiet but every so often we’d hit paydirt. Dad would clear the crossing, pull to the shoulder and the back door would spring open. Leaning back against the dusty rear bumper of our blazer, I watched in wide eyed amazement as the show of steel broke the rural calm and thundered by. As the markers faded in the distance, I returned to the backseat, clicked the lap belt and reached for my magazine. “Thanks, dad.”

And here's the visual that accompanies Bob's reminiscence - his newly-backdropped HO scale Galt Sub: 
Sidebar stories. Fellow blogger Steve Boyko added this list to a recent post on his blog. I'm proud to say I share Steve's taste in blogs, though I have to point out one typo. Under Trackside Treasure, the listing should have read "with a vain attempt at humour". Bit of a typo there (!)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you stop telling us what the header photos are? I can't find the description of the CN train with VIA cars and where it is. It looks like Southwestern Ontario.

Eric said...

No, I always try to provide as much information as practicable on Trackside Treasure. Check out my header photo disclaimer at the bottom of the blog, though. The header photo is ethical, but perhaps the least ethical part of Trackside Treasure. It's as ethical as it is ephemeral and ethereal, only lasting a day or few.

As you've probably noticed, A., I've changed the format of my header photo. Instead of the usual 'Impact' font blog title at left, I'm using Trebuchet or other similar ones, including caption information in the same or smaller size font and integrating it 'into' the header photo. I see this quite widely now in the media, and the Stanley Tucci CNN series is where it really caught my eye.

Look not so carefully and you'll see the words 'New Carlisle' in the very top line mixed in with the header photo. With Rapido Trains Inc., just delivering its M-420 locomotives to waiting modellers, the timing seemed to be right!

Thanks very much for your comment,
Eric