Thursday, May 30, 2019

On Sabbatical

I learned something today...that 'sabbatical' dates back to the Old Testament book of Leviticus, and is derived from the Hebrew 'shmita', relating to agriculture, as told to Moses. More easily-apprehended defining bullet -points of knowledge:
  • An extended absence.
  • A field left fallow (this may be where The Fallowfield Effect came from?) 
  • Leaving the land in the seventh year and withdrawing from it.
  • Used in a sentence, "I'm taking a month off to get my shmita together!"
  • In modern usage, an absence in the career of an individual to fulfil a goal. 

Now, I'm not sure how one needs an absence when my new career is retirement! Doesn't matter. Trackside Treasure is about to enter its eleventh year. I'm not very good at math, but that's like, gotta be at least two years more than the seventh year. Did I mention I'm not very good at math? (I've learned there are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.) It's time for a sabbatical.

Of course the next question is, how shall I sagely spend my sabbatical month? The correct answer would include one of the following:
  • travel, preferably to a mountaintop, preferably one that hosts momentous mountaintop moments, or yurt-ing with yellow-haired yaks on the Mongolian steppe
  • scholarly research, ideally in bibliotherapeutic Byzantine book-room, pierced by shafts of light illuminating the floating dust of a bygone era (note to self: sign up for creative writing course.)
  • deep reflection (I have a room full of mirrors where I sometimes go to just reflect)
  • immersing myself in nature in order to humbly absorb Mother Earth's intrinsic pulse, something like that. (My guess is sitting on the front porch, dozing with can of beer in hand, hat pulled down over eyes, something like that.) 
Now, time for some positive affirmations:
  • I will let you know how it turns out. You'll be the first to know.
  • I will recharge my batteries - if the acid has not all leached out of them. 
  • I will return on Canada Day, prolifically posting a prophetic post profiling this magnificent nation.
  • I will stop making positive affirmations. Now.

Legal Disclaimer:
Do not fear. This is not the end of my quiet corner of cyberspace, the alliteratively-named and somewhat catchy Trackside Treasure. To paraphrase Old Winnie, this is neither the beginning of the end, nor is it the end of the beginning. You will never hear me type the phrase (I type loudly!), "Haven't posted in awhile". You think it's easy keeping up to this torrid pace of posting once a week? Because it is! Will I be walking the median at a local intersection, sign in hand reading - lots of money, ample food, need ideas though - all while holding a thought bubble above my head? Well, no. Not legal in the state of Alaska. Professional driver on closed course. If interest in this blog lasts longer than one hour, see your doctor. Your mileage may vary. May result in the condition known as 'hot-dog fingers'.

(see above)
-Eric

2 comments:

TWForeman said...

It was fun to meet you on the VIA during your sabbatical.

Check out blackwingandwestern.com when you get home.

Eric said...

Hi Tim,

Great to meet you, too. It seems that the Canadian clientele was evenly divided among tourists from other countries, retired people, train enthusiasts and Canadians. Some of us were at the intersection of multiple groups! Hope your trip continued to be a good one.

I'll be linking to your excellent blog in an upcoming Trackside Treasure post. Looking forward to more of your modelling!

Best wishes from Kingston's Hanley Spur (well, in HO scale).
Eric